The Chronicles Time Line stretches back over 1,000 years from the present time and encompasses many major events which have shaped the current universe into what it is now. You can follow along with the time line or click on each piece for more information.
Time Line Legend The dates kept within the annals of history in Chronicles are related to the founding of the Republic. The Day of Founding marked the first day of the first year After Founding. Times prior to that are referred to as Before Founding. Since the Cataclysm, what few scholars of history can be found in these turbulent times, have set the a new time line with its first day of the first year starting on the date of the Cataclysm and henceforth referred to as Post Cataclysm.
A year within the world of Chronicles is roughly equivalent to a year on our world.
- BF - Before Founding of the Republic
- AF - After Founding of the Republic
- PC - Post Cataclysm
- 1 Pre History (???? BF - 148 BF)
- 2 The Imperial Invasion (148 BF - 126 BF)
- 3 The War of Succession and the First War of the Stars (126 BF - 102 BF)
- 4 The Second War of the Stars and Republic Expansion (102 BF - 73 BF)
- 5 War for Indagar (73 BF - 50 BF)
- 6 Third War of the Stars and The Founding (50 BF - 1 AF)
- 7 First Golden Age of the Republic (1 AF - 317 AF)
- 8 War of Kings (317 AF - 332 AF)
- 9 Reconstruction (332 AF - 401 AF)
- 10 Second Golden Age of the Republic (401 AF - 968 AF)
- 11 The Fall of the Republic (968 AF - 1000 AF)
- 12 Recent History (1 PC - Current)
Pre History (???? BF - 148 BF)
The history and state of Indagar prior to the arrival of The Minsheng Empire is mostly unwritten and undiscovered. What is known is that The Forgotten, the Tribes of the Forests, The Stars of Ixohtl, and the people of the the Ramal Nations were already inhabiting the continent, although not in the form of civilization that we know of them today. During this time, these peoples were un-civilized societies lacking even the basics of history or written language. The scholars simply write of them that they were barbaric peoples who had yet to come to know the bounties of science, technology, and civilization.
The Ramal Nations at this time did not exist, the people of the Sand Seas were merely nomadic herders and wanderers, living from the bounties of the desert rivers. Further, the Stars of Ixohtl roamed the entire eastern plains from the foothills of the Spine all the way to the coasts of the east. The People of the Stars have an oral history that dates during this period, and they tell that there were more Stars on the plains than just the three that we know of today and that these Stars were extinguished during the Conquest of Arkland. Further, the Great Forest Tribes also have an oral history in the form of legends which speaks that their civilization, as it is now, thrived in the Great Forest within the Spine and still practiced their worship of The Wild. Their oral history also speaks of The Forgotten, and that no one from the Tribes dare pass the Spine to the west for fear of them.
Not much is known of The Forgotten at all. The Minsheng Empire did not leave a written history of those peoples and instead passed them off into oblivion. What is known is that The Forgotten were the original peoples who claimed the power of The Well.
The Imperial Invasion (148 BF - 126 BF)
- 148 BF - Explorers from The Minsheng Empire sail into the Bay of Spirits and make landfall. They establish an outpost and make first contact with The Forgotten.
- 147 BF - Within a few months, the explorers from the initial outpost discover The Well. The Forgotten drive them back to the sea and burn their outpost.
- 145 BF - The Minsheng Empire returns with a war fleet. The Forgotten Wars begin. The Minsheng Empire captures The Well and establishes the outpost which will become Konagara, the future seat of The Republic.
- 143 BF - The Minsheng Empire records victory over The Forgotten. This is the last recorded sighting of The Forgotten by the 'civilized' nations of Indagar.
- 140 BF - Imperial mages discover the secrets of Spirits by tapping into the energies of The Well. Konagara becomes an official city as settlers from The Minsheng Empire begin arriving in masses. Konagara becomes the first place most settlers see upon arrival. The counties of Jin-lan and Chan-lan are formed.
- 139 BF - The Minsheng Empire records their first meetings with the Great Forest Tribes as explorers make their way inland towards the Spine. New city names are recorded as the settling of Indagar continues.
- 132 BF - The Imperial Spirit Taxation Edict is enacted. Unrest among the settlers of Indagar takes form. Jicai's Rebellion is crushed by Imperial army regulars.
- 130 BF - Ko-shi's Rebellion is founded as an anti-Imperial, under-ground, organization set to topple Imperial control. The county of Jin-lan fully rebels under the leadership of Ko-shi.
- 129 BF - The Imperial Army arrives on the shores of the Bay of Spirits, puts Konagara under martial law. Ko-shi is killed and his rebellion is violently put down. Jin-lan is restored to Imperial control.
- 127 BF - The homeland of Arkland is suffering a Great Famine. In a tear-riddled good-bye, nearly 20% of the population embark on a great voyage to find a new land to save their people.
- 126 BF - Arkland ships first arrive at the Bay of Kings.
The War of Succession and the First War of the Stars (126 BF - 102 BF)
- 125 BF - Arkland invades the territory of the Stars. The First War of The Stars begins as ancient Stars' warriors and Arkland knights battle for the first time.
- 124 BF - Tsoni Niko becomes head of the Mage's Council and gains control of Spirits production.
- 123 BF - The county of Katsu-lan is formed. The governors of Jin-lan and Katsu-lan form the Great Alliance at the request of Tsoni Niko
- 119 BF - Arkland, through controlled trench tactics, crushes the Stars. It is recorded that the Star Necaxaual is killed as her lineage and people scatter to the wind.
- 118 BF - King's Crossing is established at the most interior point of the Bay of Kings and becomes the capital of the Arkland settlement. The Decree of Lands is issued by the Emperor in response to rumors of more rebellion.
- 116 BF - Katsu-lan and Jin-lan rise up in rebellion. The Imperial forces are driven back to Konagara.
- 115 BF - The Imperial Fleet arrives carrying the might of the Imperial Army. The War of Succession begins.
- 114 BF - In response to Imperial atrocities, Tsoni Niko kills the rest of the Mage's Council and flees to Katsu-lan. Spirits production is halted. The Battle of Katsu-lan begins seeing the rebels as victorious and the Imperial Army being driven back to Konagara
- 113 BF - The Emperor sends a second war fleet to Indagar.
- 112 BF - The Kingdom of Arkland discover the Ironwood Forest of King's Wald and begin amassing an unconquerable navy.
- 111 BF - Battle of Jin-lan is fought and won by the rebels. The second Imperial invasion is halted and the War of Succession stagnates.
- 109 BF - Under pressure from the Spirits shortage and cost of war, the Emperor sues for peace. Tsoni Niko herself signs the peace treaty.
- 108 BF - The Republic Charter is drafted by the new Mage's Council. The first Counsels are elected. The counties of Jin-lan, Katsu-lan, and Chan-lan fall under the new Republic's banner.
- 102 BF - Growing wealthy from Spirits, the new Republic expands to the Spine. The counties of Nataki-lan and Tianjin-lan are formed.
The Second War of the Stars and Republic Expansion (102 BF - 73 BF)
- 100 BF - Star Ixtoca declares war on Arkland starting the Second War of the Stars. The armies of the Star march on King's Crossing.
- 99 BF - The Dread Winter occurs whereupon Arkland soldiers manage to defend King's Crossing and repel Star Ixtoca back to the plains.
- 98 BF - Republic expansion continues. Tianyi-lan county is established and becomes the western most county controlling the pass to the Spine.
- 95 BF - After years of harassment, assassins hired by Arkland kill Star Ixtoca officially end the Second War of the Stars.
- 80 BF - Gyanyi-lan county is established. Toma-lan county is established. The Compromise of Spirits is completed.
- 73 BF - Republic Ships and Arkland Ships come into contact for the first time, around the Cape of Al'ralam.
War for Indagar (73 BF - 50 BF)
- 71 BF - Arkland and the Republic establish embassies in Konagara and King's Crossing.
- 68 BF - In the Empire homeland, a new Emperor is crowned, threatening to conquer all of Indagar. In response, the Republic ceases shipping Spirits to the Empire in response.
- 67 BF - An Imperial navy is spotted, the largest naval armada the world had ever seen. The War for Indagar begins.
- 66 BF - Konagara falls to the Empire. The Republic Counsels retreat to Katsu-lan and establish a new government in the capital. Imperial ships attack Arkland ships off the cost of Bay of Spirits.
- 65 BF - Arkland and the Republic establish the First Alliance. A massive counter-attack ensues and the Imperial Army is driven from Indagar back to the sea where an armada of ships under the flag of Arkland launch a surprise attack which destroys most of the Imperial Navy. The War for Indagar ends as abruptly as it began.
- 64 BF - Regular Spirits trade routes are established between Arkland and the Republic as payment for the war. Construction of the Great Road begins.
- 61 BF - Knowing the world grows larger than their plains, the Stars of Ixohtl establish an embassy in Konagara.
- 59 BF - The peoples who will become the Ramal Nations are discovered and trade routes are established between Arkland, the Republic, and the Sand Seas.
- 50 BF - The Stars Align. The 3 remaining Stars of Ixohtl begin mustering their forces under the command of a Star reborn.
Third War of the Stars and The Founding (50 BF - 1 AF)
- 49 BF - The Stars combine and invade Arkland. The Third War of the Stars begins and will not end for 50 years.
- 48 BF - The Battle of Blood Plains occurs. Arkland is soundly defeated during a counter-attack against the Stars. The Stars surround the Bay of Kings.
- 47 BF - Arkland forms an alliance with their homeland by offering them an Ironwood lease. A massive war fleet arrives and pushes the Stars back to the plains.
- 43 BF - With the King's Wald nearly deforested, the Kingdom is unable to continue paying for support from their homeland, and Arkland is forced to broker the Spirit Lease with the Republic. Outside support ensures the war continue to stalemate.
- 39 BF - Ryuk-lan county is established.
- 30 BF - Arkland pushes the Stars all the way to the Spine. As according to prophecy, in their direst need, it is said that the sun burns red in the sky, and Arkland is miraculously defeated at the Battle of Red Sun
- 24 BF - The war continues to stale mate for Arkland. The Blood Pact is formed and the Blood Cults are born.
- 10 BF - The Battle of the Forgotten is waged on the great plains. Both the armies of the Stars and combined Arkland forces are utterly decimated.
- 6 BF - Arkland drafts the Accord. It is rejected.
- 1 BF - Under further duress, the New Republic Charter is established. Arkland agrees to become a vassal of the Republic. Arkland's war debt is paid by the Republic to their homeland in Spirits.
- 1 AF - The Republic proper is founded. The Stars of Ixothl are forced to be a vassal of the Republic under duress of combined Arkland and Republic support. The Republic is now in control of all of Indagar.
First Golden Age of the Republic (1 AF - 317 AF)
- 14 AF - Spirit Refinement is invented, and Spirits adopt color.
- 17 AF - The Stars of Ixohtl and Arkland sign the Reconstruction Pact which officially ends major hostilities and opens up real trade and progress between the two Factions.
- 22 AF - The construction of the Highway begins in Konagara.
- 31 AF - The Highway reaches the Western Pass of the Spine.
- 42 AF - The Highway traverses the Great Forest and connects east to west for the first time by land path.
- 43 AF - The Blood Cults refine Blood Thaumaturgy. This new invention creates more fertile lands in the Sand Seas.
- 59 AF - The Highway is completed at the steps of the palace in King's Crossing.
- 102 AF - The first Ramaltas comes to power over the city-state of Tadukhepa. Blood Spirits are invented.
- 117 AF - After 100 years or peace and prosperity, Arkland and the Horse Lords launch a massive peace celebration. The Stars offer to train Arkland soldiers in the use of cavalry.
- 227 AF - Arkland establishes off shore trade routes with distant lands and marks the beginning of their trade based wealth.
- 237 AF - The Ramaltas form their first alliance, one of prosperity, and fund the Southern Highway, a route from the Great Forest across the Sand Ocean and into the Sand Seas.
- 268 AF - The Southern Highway is completed ending at the city-state of Suppalialis.
- 306 AF - Arkland officially pays off its ancient war debt to the Republic, marked in ceremony.
- 317 AF - The first Wild Shaman arrives at the capital of the Republic and relations are established with the Great Forest Tribes.
War of Kings (317 AF - 332 AF)
- 317 AF - Pirate ships begin raiding and destroy Arkland trading vessels. Their origins are unknown.
- 318 AF - A massive naval armada under the flag of the Kingdom of Grandia enter the mouth of the Bay of Kings. An emissary lands in King's Crossing with demands. Arkland summarily rejects the demands starting the War of Kings.
- 319 AF - King's Crossing is under siege. In response, the Republic persuades the Stars of Ixohtl to march on King's Crossing, something which has never been done in hundreds of years.
- 320 AF - The siege of King's Crossing is broken, but the Kingdom of Grandia establishes an outpost along the eastern coast of Indagar and reinforces from their faraway home.
- 324 AF - Using ships bearing the technology of the Republic, Arkland's navy wins the Battle of Black Waves, crushing the navy of Grandia and blockading their outposts.
- 325 AF - Under combined forces of the Horse Lords, Arkland, and the Republic, the forces of Grandia are forced to surrender.
- 330 AF - The King of Grandia raises another war fleet to once again attack The Republic.
- 332 AF - The King of Grandia is assassinated by a Blood Cult Assassin within his own palace. Thus ends the War of Kings. The Republic is able to thwart the first, major, foreign threat.
Reconstruction (332 AF - 401 AF)
- 332 AF - The reconstruction of the eastern peoples begins after the War of Kings.
- 334 AF - In grand gesture, the Ramaltas once again form an alliance of prosperity to assist the Horse Lords with restoring their peoples. The Ramal Nations are officially formed as a coalition of Ramaltas.
- 347 AF - The Eastern Gate and Western Gate are constructed around their respective passes of the Spine.
- 352 AF - Under direction of the Counsels, the Republic Corps of Engineers is established. Roads, aqueducts, and construction begin across all realms within The Republic.
- 372 AF - The Red Spirit is formulated marking the first refinement which can extend life.
- 401 AF - With reconstruction complete and the Republic Corps of Engineers commanding the rise of The Republic, construction begins on the City on the Lake at the cross roads of the Highway and Southern Highway.
Second Golden Age of the Republic (401 AF - 968 AF)
- 582 AF - The first embassy of the Great Forest Tribes is established in Konagara.
- 672 AF - Flash Powder is invented by Republic alchemists.
- 717 AF - The Stars of Ixohtl issue the Ancestral Reconstitution Agreement which returns the Stars and their people back to the ways of their ancestors rather than continuing to move towards the civilization of The Republic. Rather than causing inner turmoil, The Republic supports their decision and respects it.
- 887 AF - The Nights of Fire happen for almost an entire year. As an observance of a religious ritual, the fires within the Great Forest burn brightly and can be seen from the Gates. The Republic gets its first glimpse of just how many peoples are hidden within that forest.
- 901 AF - King Geran the Third is crowned in Arkland. The Edict of Light is issued.
- 906 AF - The first scuffle between Priests of Light and the people of the Stars breaks out. The Counsels quell the violence with diplomacy.
- 907 AF - The first deposits begin to be seen within the Spirits.
- 924 AF - A scuffle within the neutral halls of the City on the Lake between Arkland and emissaries from the Horse Lords breaks out.
- 942 AF - The Minsheng Empire begins to assert itself again in the oceans around Indagar, arousing suspicions of their involvement in Indagar.
- 955 AF - Blood Spirits, with their sacrifice, are found to be more powerful than regular Spirits, creating tension between the Ramal Nations and The Republic.
- 968 AF - Arkland begins construction of the Walls of Arkland in response to some continued aggression from the Stars of Ixohtl. The Republic orders construction to be halted.
The Fall of the Republic (968 AF - 1000 AF)
- 970 AF - First recorded decrease in effectiveness of Spirits. The Ramal Nations begin construction of the Southern Tower.
- 973 AF - Another martial conflict between the Priests of Light and people of the Stars known as the Accidental Massacre occurs. The Republic issues the first proclamation against the proliferation of the Light. Arkland responds with anger but relents.
- 975 AF - King Geran the Fifth takes the throne of Arkland.
- 982 AF - The Minsheng Empire re-establishes their embassy in Konagara.
- 983 AF - Animosity between the Blood Cults and Priests of Light arises in governing session.
- 986 AF - The First Accord is held at the City on the Lake to help restore relations between the peoples of The Republic.
- 987 AF - The Dam of Aktwa bursts during seasonal flooding inundating the city-state of Muwatalis. The Ramal Nations sue for reparations from the Republic Corps of Engineers, but The Republic is unable to fully fund reconstruction due to waning profits from Spirits.
- 993 AF - Republic scholars predict that the stars are set to align within the next decade. Animosity between the Stars and Arkland continues to rise. The Stars discontinue their military exercises with Arkland.
- 996 AF - Sensing the tensions rising, the Counsels hold the Second Accord at the City on the Lake. Relations between Arkland and the Stars are repaired, and reparations for the Ramal Nations are provided.
- 1000 AF - The Millennial Celebration held in Konagara. The Counsels disappear as do the Mage's Council. The Cataclysm occurs destroying Konagara. The Republic falls.
Recent History (1 PC - Current)
- 1 PC - Long Journey to the Lake occurs. The Dead Lands form around the Bay of Spirits. The interim government formed in Katsu-lan and the Lanagaran Scions are established. The last Wood War ends as Arkland craftsmen flee to the City by the Lake and the Great Forest tribes mobilize. The Great Forest Tribes take control of the Southern Gate and destroy the Western Gate. Former Republic citizens and soldiers in the eastern half of the continent flee to the Eastern Gate and set up the Encampments. The Cabal takes shape in the ruins of Konagara. Earthquakes cause wells of magic water to appear across the landscape, and The Hollow is formed when an entire section of the Spine descends into the earth.
- 2 PC - The Stars Align. Arkland begins construction again on the Walls of Arkland. The Order is established in the City on the Lake. Princess Tani Taka is crowed Queen of the Lake City.
- 3 PC - The Ramal Nations begin raiding territories in Arkland, the plains, and the Great Forest. Hidden among the raids, several were Blood Harvests to increase their supply of Blood Amber. The Call of the Wild is answered by an unheard number of Chieftains as the Great Forest Tribes began appearing from the woods in an innumerable horde. The Stars relocate to the northern plains and shore to avoid being caught between the Tribes and Arkland.
- 4 PC - Arkland establishes an outpost on the western coast, just south of the Dead Lands, bolstered by the collapse of the Republic navy. King Geran the Fifth is assassinated. The Horse Lords capture the Southern Gate trapping an untold horde of Tribes as well as threatening the Ramal Nations. Katsu-lan is overrun by the Demons of the Cabal. The counties of the Lanagaran Scions begin their decline into anarchy.
- 5 PC - Present Time...